Thursday 13 November 2008

Gorgeous and grand Graduand

Yesterday I finally graduated from university, almost six months after I had actually finished the course and what a relief it was. The ceremony was rather long-winded however and the hall was boiling hot which didn't help when we were all sitting adorned in thick, heavy robes and a morterboard that made my head weigh a tonne! My turn came to mount the stage almost an hour after we had started the ceremony and I made my way to the side praying that I didn't trip up on my gown! I didn't trip up but I did end up walking off before the man shaking my hand had finished asking me if I had enjoyed the course so looking back it could have been construed that I was ignoring him! Although asking the same question to over 300 students probably took its toll on him anyway!
After the ceremony my parents and I pushed through the manic throng of people who were blocking half the road and made our way down to Edwinn's, the snazziest and smartest restaurant in Cambridge. Entering the restaurant I was immediatly aware of the elegance and delicacy of the place. Taking our reserved seat by the window we browsed the menu hungrily (we hadn't eaten since about half past six that morning). After finally deciding what we wanted I was surprised but amused to see two other graduands seat themselves on the two adjoining tables complete with large, adoring families. Although both my parents opted for the set menu I found myself ordering from the main one, as a delicious meal had caught my eye - Chicken with cream cheese, hazelnuts and potato Gnocchi. I was desperate to try Gnocchi after seeing Nigella use some on one of her recent programs and could not understand how something that looked so tasty had been overlooked by me of all people!! This was to be served with Potato Dauphinoise (which I had also never tried but consisted of potato, milk and melted cheese) and a serving of vegetables. As the meal arrived I was so hungry I jumped straight in and started demolishing it all. The entire meal was exsquisite, such a variety of colour and taste. The gnocchi and Dauphinoise especially were divine and even tastier than I could have imagined. The gnocchi were plump and satisfying whilst the Dauphinoise was absolutely dreamy, melting in my mouth. To be honest the actual chicken as the blandest ingredient in the meal which was a shame but everything else made up for it! As is the custom with me I will always find room for a dessert, even if I really cannot eat another mouthful, and so it was to my parents amazement and slight disgust I imagine that I ordered a delicious dessert of Sticky Toffee pudding with Toffee sauce and Double Cream. This combination was probably the nicest I had ever tasted. I am used to Sticky toffee pudding bought from the supermarket but this was proper handmade, genuine Sticky Toffee! The pudding was presented in a thick slab with toffee sauce drizzled over the top and complete with a pot of double cream to pour on top. I cannot explain how thick and creamy this dish tasted, but there was such a richness to the pudding which was contrasted by the coolness of the cream which really did this dish justice. Although expensive this restaraunt is worth every penny (although in fairness it wasn't me who paid!) as the food is served to perfection and the service was quick and friendly, the waitor even took time to ask me about my graduation and course!!
The hardest part of the day for me and my mum was struggling to walk to the car after being filled full of such lovely food, it took us about an hour to walk ten minutes!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on graduation!

    It sounds like you enjoyed the food, have you thought of making a career in the food industry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, yes I am very interested in doing something involving food for a career, maybe like a food critic or writing a cook book, either would be a great job!

    ReplyDelete