Sunday 9 November 2008

Spicy saturday stir fry supper

One of my traditions is to spend the weekend at my dad's house who is a brilliant cook (although he doesn't believe it!)and I am forever being dazzled by his delicious dishes. Added to which he buys me bottles of malibu when I come over so thats even nicer! One of the lovely and incrediably more-ish dishes which he has presented me with twice now is a gorgeous combination of prawn and rice. In other words rice with prawns! In fact both the times my dad has set off to the kitchen leaving me with my large bottle of malibu and not expected to return to the front room for about an hour and has emerged about 25 minutes later with steaming bowls of this lovely dish! You can really experiment with the things that you put into this meal but I'm listing the ingredients that my dad uses!


This supposedly serves four but its so tasty that I could eat the whole thing alone!


Ingredients:

200g/8oz long grain rice
175g/6oz frozen peas
2 tbsp veg oil plus an extra drop
1 onion, chopped
3 rashers bacon, chopped
1 tbsp tikka massala curry paste
250g/9oz cooked tiger prawns, thawed if frozen
1 egg beaten
soy sauce to serve


Tip the rice into a pan of boiling water and simmer for 10 minutes and at the last three minutes put the peas in. Drain. At the same time heat up the two tablespoons of oil in a large wok (you can use a frying pan but a wok is brilliant for this type of dish, added to which you get far more in!)and add the bacon and stir fry for about 4 minutes until the onion is going light brown and the bacon has started to cook. Start to stir in the curry paste and cook for a few seconds and then put the prawns in and heat them up for just over a minute.

Next you need to move the whole mixture of the prawns etc to one side of the wok and add the other drop of oil to the other side. Pour the egg into the oil and stir until it is cooked like scrambled egg then mix with the prawns so that all the mixture is together. (How much do you just want to stuff it all in your mouth now!) Lastly add the rice and the peas and mix it all together so that it doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the wok.

Serve it as soon as you can get it on your plate with lots more malibu (that's just for me of course) and a good film on one of the many cold and gloomy nights that we have to look forward to in the near future!

1 comment:

  1. Food Fanatique, thank you for this delicious recipe. I want to try it at once, and it's pretty healthy. I love your blogs, and think you should be writing for a food mag!
    Keep the recipes coming!
    Yarmouth bloater

    ReplyDelete