Friday 14 November 2008

Wonderfully Warming Pudding!


Being the random foodie that I am I suddenly today felt a craving for something sweet and warm, maybe a pudding of some kind.... What pudding haven't I had for a long, long time? And then it hit me, Rice Pudding!! Suddenly memories of my schooldays wafted over me as I dived for the pots and pans, desperate to recreate the delicious and warming dessert which I had tasted so many times before through my teenage years. So here we go, a delicious recipe for a delicious pud, and although it may take a bit of time to make, you know it will be worth it when that first mouthful melts in your mouth!

This recipe should serve about 4 people but as I always say if your starving it'll probably only feed half the amount!


140g uncooked white rice (how weird would a rice pudding look with brown rice!)
475ml milk, (you'll need to divide it throughout the process with a bit here and a bit there)
65g white sugar
2g salt
1 beaten egg
110g golden raisins (you know they taste so much nicer than plain ones!)
15g butter
3ml vanilla extract

strawberry jam to drizzle on the top


Method:
Find a medium sized saucepan and bring one and a half cups of water to the boil. Add your rice and mix it around so that it doesn't stick to the sides or the bottom. Turn the heat down and the cover and leave it to simmer for about 20 minutes. Whilst doing this you can attend to all those jobs that you never get round to, such as ironing or dusting or simply watch the t.v. After the twenty minutes is up you need to find another saucepan and combine one and a half cups of rice, one and a halfcups milk, sugar and salt. Cook on a medium heat until thick and creamy and gorgeous and smooth and...sorry I got carried away! you need to do this for between 15 and 20 minutes. Then stir in remaining half a cup of milk, the beaten egg and the raisins. Cook for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Take off the heat and stir inbutter and vanilla. Serve warm with strawberry jam on top...sorry, got carried away AGAIN! Heavenly!

Don't forget you can put anything you want on the top of the rice pudding, I prefer strawberry jam but go ahead and try what you like!!

2 comments:

  1. What a great recipe, Food Fanatique. Rice pudding is so comforting and warming, and so much nicer homemade than in those little tubs you buy from the supermarket. Just the thing for the cold weather.
    Have you tried adding a little cinnamon or nutmeg to the recipe to spice it up?
    Norfolk Herring

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello, I think a long time ago I did try some nutmeg on top of rice pudding but I do like it more to be with a jam of some kind, its rather like porridge I suppose so maybe honey would also be warming on the top!!

    ReplyDelete